Welcome to St Mary’s, Fairford. There has been a Church on this site for 1,000 years,
the present one dating from about 1497. The Church, as well as being the largest place of worship
in the town, is chiefly known for its stained glass windows – the only complete set of late medieval
glass in a parish church in the country.
St Mary’s Church receives many thousands of visitors each year and is open to visitors between
10am and 5pm in the summer and 10 am and 3.30 pm in the winter. A steward is normally on duty.
If you intend visiting us and would like a guided tour of the building, please contact the Parish
Office to book a guide at a suitable date and time. There are also guide books available and our
stewards are happy to help if they can.
Please check with the steward for any useful ‘aids’ to discovering the church for yourself;
we normally have some binoculars available to help with the higher windows and hope to introduce
audio guides in the near future.
Please note that tour parties should always contact the Parish Office prior to visiting,
even if a guide is not required – indeed, it is a good idea for small groups or individuals too.
Access to the church will be dependent on such things as services taking place, other tour parties
or work being carried out – we do not want to have to turn anyone away.